Popular Site for Picnics – Stawell Times-News Supplement (Town of Stawell Centenary) October 3, 1969
One of the most popular roadside picnic sites on the Western Highway is provided by the huge granite tors known as the Sisters Rocks, three miles south of Stawell.
Referred to as Victoria’s Devil’s Marbles, these great boulders are at least 250 million years old.
They formed below the existing land surface in the post-Devonian era in sediments which have now been eroded, and are similar in formation to the granite outcrops found in the nearby Black Ranges.
But families who picnic there and young people who daub their modern cave art on the surfaces, may not be aware to whom they are indebted for the preservation of these rocks.
The rocks were named after three sisters called Levi who camped there on their way to the Pleasant Creek goldfields.
During the goldrush the big rocks the big rocks attracted little attention and were almost hidden by the surrounding timber.
After the formation of a District Roads Board, the services of a photographer named Armstrong were secured to take pictures of places of interest for an exhibition.
The rocks were the subject of one of these pictures, the whole series of which was later hung in the Shire hall.
At the height of Stawell’s building boom, granite was in great demand for public buildings and foundations.
Fearing that the Sisters Rocks might be demolished for building stone, Mr Armstrong protested that this would be vandalism and that they should be protected and preserved.
One of the members of the District Roads Board – Mr. S. J. Davidson, who was elected in 1861 – took up a small piece of ground under the Lands Act and enclosed the area.
This saved the rocks from destruction.
ABC Radio doco on Sisters Rocks and Bunjil’s Cave / Shelter